Tuesday 11 July 2017

I Was Possessed - The Ghost of Romeo Boy !!!!!

I Was possessed -  The Ghost of  Romeo Boy
(Matheran Endurathon – 25 Kms)

Disclaimer : I am a slow runner and this narration is of my one off fast run . No animal or human has been harmed in this blog . )))))

As I listened interestingly to conversation of Mahadev , the care taker of  Hotel Royal at Matheran . He enlightened us with some ghostly story about a horse named Romeo boy . According to him it  was one of the horse  in his owners stable and would run at a lightening speed , according to him the ravines and the route of matheran still has his presence .

Matheran endurathon was always on my bucket list , so when  event was announced , thanks to all the motivation and cajoling from Rahul and Coach Bobby , I decided to go for a 50 Kms . It was 50kms till Mala and Shloka decided to join for a weekend vacation . Requested Yash to change my category to 25kms , thanks to him it did happen (Coach had given a mouthful for this ) .

I am attempting  a crazy challenge of Running for 100 days , many  who knows me and follow my running advised me against this challenge with a reasoning very valid that the body will give answer . But I was determined to do this . As I pen this blog I am at 74th day with a mileage of 589 Kms . I strongly believe that unless you are fit don’t try this . But to me this was the best thing happened . I am feeling super strong .
We reached Matheran on 08th August well in time  , Reji , Linta and Osky . Me , Mala and Shloka . We settled and went on to collect bibs and it was a carnival at the bib collection location. Met many  friends who are connected on running groups . Rest of the day went in roaming around and some street eating . As we were about to retire for the day I reviewed my TomTom distance and noticed that we had walked 11 Kms that day and in addition I had ran a 26..50   mins 5kms that morning .

Alarm buzzed and soon I was at the start line  cheering for the 50kms runners . Must tell you there were some strong trail runners from across the nation .  Sooner , the host announced the starting of 25kms and with zumba and warm up we were off to a would be memorable run .
From the Zeroth metre , it was stones and trail , practically no roads (that’s how trail runs are supposed to be ) . First 3kms was steep and down hill , however since there was a convergence of runners at narrow places running was becoming difficult . I was telling my fellow runners , bhai log side pe hato I am going for a PB and Including me everyone made a joke of the  statement.

As I crossed the periphery of Ravines , I felt a zeal in me . A super strong being entering me . Was it Romeo Boy – the horse whose soul would be seen roaming in the ravines . Never in my previous race I felt so strong . Kranti and Gaurav from Aurangabad met me at 5th Km  and boy what runners they are . Kranti was pacing gaurav and in turn was also pacing me . He clicked all the beautiful pics which I had posted over .
By now 50K runners were on their return loop  and they were running strong , must tell you it requires hell lot of training to attempt a 50k in this trail and terrain .

At 8th Km  I was running with Dr Shashank from Nagpur , previous day he  had informed me that he  has published a paper on Runners heart , he being a cardiologist . Together we were running good and pushing each other . Met Bobby who was running good and was cheerful and as if was telling “saalo tumhari le loonga “ since we had ditched him by converting to 25kms . When I saw my watch , I realized I had done a good first half i.e a close to 12.5 Kms in 1.32  . I knew if I don’t pull up any muscle I am in for a good run . Memories took me back to Delhi FM in Feb , where I was running so strong and at 25th Km had a ITB pull and had to walk 17 kms still managing to complete in 5.04 , had I not cramped I wud have done a gud race .

 
I was treading carefully at the same time was galloping at most of the up slope . Strategy was reverse to run strong on up slope using upper cut and run even at down slope . Kms passed on and I knew it was a special run . Body was super strong , probably my 70 continous days mileage was working on me . Am I in for a Sub 3 - 25kms this thought passed my mind but soon came back to present . As per my watch I crossed 21kms at 2.26 and it was a damn good time . The next 4kms was the toughest and practically it was walking only route , with steep inclines and elevation .

 At 22nd Km met Reji , unfortunately he cramped at that km and he asked me to move ahead . Now , I had my mind playing a Sub 3 and the next incline I ran like a beast – the Romeo Boy . It was 23rd Km and the next incline was a bloody steeper one and had to walk the climb . My watch read 2.59 and distance 24.10 . I could hear the cheers at the finish line .

 A 50kms runner who was on his return leg informed , that the finish is close by and the next incline I climbed at a good pace . Met Gaurav and now could see the finish line . I put on my Oakley and as always wanted to finish in style . I could see Mala and Shloka cheering for me at the finish line and I crossed  my watch reading 3.00. 32 seconds and distance reading 24.30 kms .

Sometimes , GPS shows more and sometimes less so accepted the official timing from the organsiers a whopping 2.56.52  , a personal best by 30 mins . That too a negative split in this terrain .

Romeo Boy had entered me and I wanted him to stay back in me for ever …..hope I don’t have to leave this one off streak of a strong run at Matheran .

I was Possessed for those  2hrs and 57 Minutes .







Training Schedule : Ran 551 Kms in 71 days till this race .
Diet : Nothing changed , added lots of egg in my schedule  and Fast and Up Protein , Vitamin C .

Weight Loss : 6Kgs  i.e 84kgs now from 90 Kgs .

11 comments:

  1. Wow.. interesting bijay..lovely illustration.. i could actually visualise every KM ...like living my matheran run again.. superb blog .. luv it✌

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the blog. You have a knack for making it juicy and interesting :)
    That was indeed a super run. Even though we run together often, you were going harder than i have ever seen you running and it was evident that you were in control (or probably Romeo was).
    In case it was Romeo, never let it leave you..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romeo boy is a catchy name for a horse!! Lol.. Matheranmarathon made more memorable with your blog.. It was awesome meeting great runners from across the country. Want to do this often!!
    Wish the Romeo boy stays strong with u till at least the 100th day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goosebumps :)
    Such a motivational blog !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very inspirational, Keep running and keep inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful blog with great details. Keep running and keep inspiring others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice read.. and your hard training is showing results...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well-written! And congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. May Romeo boy be with u forever.. lovely illustration..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Romeo Boy...Never let this spirit die...a wonderful narrative Bijay. Though I wasn't a part of this wonderful experience but could get a good filler of every mile you covered.The trail looks challenging and I believe you need great endurance to cover that 25km on Hills.
    Thanks for sharing the experience and Congratulations on your Sub 3!! 70 days mileage did bring the best in You!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bijay....too good a Achievement in a treacherous trail run....your writing skill is too good....very light and inimitable.....always a pleasure to read......Keep inspiring....Romeo Boy !

    ReplyDelete