Tuesday 15 August 2017

Experience the Experience of Experiencing an Experience - 100days of Running

Madhuri Dixit looked so hot in 100 days , now 100 days is a movie made when I was in IXth grade with gorgeous Moon Moon sen and not so gorgeous Jackie shroff . Story goes this way ….. blah blah…..

Forget her story listen mine …..

As he lay in ICU and I gaze at the beep of the ICU chamber , doctors declared he is stabilizing , a huge sigh of relief for all of us in the family . Around 10 Pm , doctors requested two of us to be around ICU and when I met my brother in law who was in ICU he is younger to me though , he did ask me in a meek voice enquiring about last two days from when he was in ICU and among that he also asked how many days more of your run left . I said forget it , you get better come out of here , he said do run tomorrow . 

My 100th day of running was a emotional roller coaster , not the way I wanted to usher in to . Back home , my 100th day was planned in a lavish way with me pacing for a 10k and then joining Adidas runners  Mumbai – My brand team for the celebrations and my buddies at GOS had planned a cake cutting . But destiny had something else planned for me , I was to run with my soul , the very body and soul who was my partner for almost 99 days and I had to kiss this milestone day near by hospital alone with lots of mixed emotions …… but I knew though I am alone , I am not lonely …..there were many of my friends who were running for me .


 Mine 100days story is a story which changed my running as a whole . As I recuperated from my ITB injury , I vowed to come back strong .  Since , Delhi FM in Feb 2017, where I ITBed back , I was not sure how the road ahead would be . My physio had put me on conditioning and I was getting back . Then as my buddies from GOS were gearing up to attend  Run with Ash Programme , I too enrolled . My dear friend and buddy Babu had strongly recommended to all of us . What a brilliant program it was  , trust me the running techniques which Ash shared , helped me as a runner or probably my conversion as a runner .





When Abhinav from Team Adidas informed us that 100days running is going to be promulgated soon , there were lots of interest shown by folks . Earlier years too there was this 100days of running , but it never interested me and trust me I was awry of the fact that why should some one run 100days and the experienced runner in me didn’t permit me .

But , when you hang your boots as hobby runner or when  running becomes too much for you , there should be events and stories to be looked for . So decided to attempt 100days of running which was to start on 29th April . My buddies at GOS encouraged me to go for it , since I knew many a times in this 100days I would require them to be my side .

Day 1 began with a 21kms and then day on and on I would get up and run . At some point of time I felt why I am doing this . Around 20th day , I knew it has become a habit . One good thing happened was that the run challenge started in peak summer and it means braving entire may. So the plan was chalked , I had shortlisted two major events to be back on track after the Feb FM ITB disaster .

I chose two events in July , the Matheran Endurathon 25kms and the BNP Endurathon 25kms which was back to back in a weeks time . It was sheer madness , but i knew I have to train hard and as per plan . So the rest of the days in may I had a plan in place to run and train for the events . So I had speed, hills , long runs , tempo runs etc in my 100days plan . Most of the days their would be buddies from GOS who would run along . Having folks with different speed and training patterns helped me a lot .  I use to get the speed, endurance , tempo etc . At times , I have ran in heavy rains and high humidity . Thanks to adidas I had decent number of shoes . 

Run on a travel day Morning :-

Most challenging part was when I was to travel for official work that entailed getting up at wee hours , morning flight and then not sure of coming back same day or staying back in various cities . So when I was to travel to Delhi , I got up at 0300 clock once and ran in my housing complex, both security guards , the building stray dogs and the hifi CCTV camera all looking bewildered at me .

Run at airport :-

Second time , when I travelled to delhi , I ran at delhi airport  since I had time in hand to attend the meeting .

Run after work at Indore :-

When I reached Indore after an official work , it was around 9.45 Pm . My colleague enquired , sir we will be down in dining hall by 10.15 for dinner . I asked him to go ahead or wait for me till 10.45 . He did wait and enquired where was I , I showed him my run photo , a 3kms on the Indore road . He couldn’t believe and the entire next day too, he was jaw dropped .

Run at Bhopal :-

Ran at Bhopal before the wee hours after reaching the city. Checked in and went out for a Run near Bada lake .
So one thing binded me was my run , it connected me to my inner soul . My runs made me amalgamate in to my soul . I was a better me .

My family started getting involved in my 100days run , Mala would wake me up on many days when I had to run alone since other folks had rest day . She , my daughter , my mom and dad became a part of my journey . Mom would ensure that I check my BP often since around 45th day , I had a low BP scare and I was not well . Though , I could get better , the point was why it happened .

Again on 72nd day , I had my BP dropping and by now I had lost almost 5kgs (which never happened in my 10 years of running ) . I did have a scare , where I had a blurred vision . As they say when you are blessed by doctor friends around you know you are been watched . I would regularly take advise from Dr Kumar sir , who himself was doing 100days of run . He suggested me to go for a blood check since I was looking bit weak . To my surprise, the thyroid level had swinged dramatically in to negative . My TSH level moved from Hypothyroid to Hyperthryoid level , which never happened in 10 years . Running can reverse the thyroid level , wow. I Reduced my dosage of thyroxin , now from 75 mcg am down to 50mcg and things looked well.

Two Races I ran :- Matheran 25kms Tough Hill Endurathon and BNP 25kms again a hill . By the time I was into my 4th km at matheran endurathon , I knew this is gonna special run since I was feeling so so good about my body , my soul and to my surprise I crossed finish line almost 32 mins better than my previous 25kms run and that too in a tough hilly terrain . Read my Blog about Romeo boy .



The following week was BNP 25kms and everyone advised me to go slow . But I knew I have to prove that matheran was not a chance , so when BNP race timing was received it was 4 mins better than matheran the previous week and a PB by 36 mins .  Read my blog about BNP.

I knew , my running is shaping up and I am getting stronger .

Toughest two days were 99th and 100th day , since we had a family emergency read the starting para of this blog .

100 Running tshirt  pact :-

To make my run interesting , I decided to run every day in different running tshirts and trust me , my wardrobe  has been reorganized for the first time , nahi toh It was like when I use to open the wardrobe my running cloths would fall to my feet out of respect . heeehheee. Each tshirt has a story and so is every run . It was nice to post about the same on Did You Run Today , I use to post my runs on DYRT . Thanks Nikhil and Arvind for this forum .

Many of my close friends gifted me tshirt  for the challenge as a token of love .




Ushering in to  800th Km :- I ushered in to 800th km , feeling very strong albeit gloom on 99th day . But I knew it was a better version of me , from day 1 to day 99th .

Conclusion : 1.  100days reincarnated me as a runner , as a person and as a individual .

2. Should people take 100days challenge : yes, why not . But only after gauging your fitness level .

3. Will I run 100 days again .   NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO…… the commitment is very very difficult .

4. Negatives : Yes . It takes you in to different zone and hence , you tend to be thinking mostly about runs and at times tends to become selfish .

5. Positives : Many .  I lost 7kgs , I became committed and dedicated , stamina and performance increased at all spheres . heeeeeehehheeh. Thyroid levels reversed . Made so many friends.

ABOVE ALL I REALISED YET AGAIN ......AS MURAKAMI  SAYS  AND I LIVE BY THIS MANTRA "I RUN THEREFORE  I  AM "..............



 My Gratitude to : My Wife , my daughter , mom , dad , brothers and sis in laws.

 My Buddies++ who  ran with me not to name any one in praticular  because 100 days had so many friends running at various point in time .

My Brands who supported me : Adidas , TomTom, FastandUp 

My training groups : GOS, MRR , DYRT .......


9 comments:

  1. Congratulations Bijay!! 99th and 100th day of this challenge was a true test of your emotional and physical strength..I am sure you must have dig deep inside your heart to search for that spark of energy that helped you to ignore the pain..Like a true champion..you have won this challenge fighting all odds..And with great Runner friends your each run has a story to tell..enjoyed reading your 100days posts on DYRT..Happy Running...keep inspiring like you always do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on completing your 100 day run challenge... You blog is quite inspiring.. Keep running, keep motivating

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats ....I wish I could do this year..nevertheless let me give a try next time its around..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hearty Congratulations...U r an inspiration for beginners like me...ur approach towards life and sense of humour are a couple of things which makes you stand out from the crowd.....Keep going

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is big time inspiring the level of determination ,dedication and efforts.yet humble and pure n clear..you r role model of people like me who just satrted running two years ago..keep going strong...one of the Fan.... #They Inspire..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous Bijay Sir (i dont call u sir coz u are older than me.. Its jus coz of your naval background) Just hats off to your commitment..
    take a bow... Keep running keep inspiring..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr.Bijay, Very inspiring. Love the commitment shown by you. Keep motivating.

    ReplyDelete